Friday, February 23, 2007

Better food options

I know that when I was a freshman, I hated the meal plans. I pretty much ate Chickfila for a year. The food at Landrum was not the best, to say the least, the options were pretty much grease, grease, or grease. But now it looks as though all that will change. There are plans in the works to renovate Landrum.

Landrum has already changed a bit, Season's, a buffet style service, was added last summer in the hopes of giving students healthier chocies. Many students are growing tired of the burgers, pizza, and fried food that Landrum has always supplied. I do think it would be a smart move for the university to make a more balanced menu. For the students who live in the dorms, school food is about their only option since they don't have the luxury of a kitchen. I never realized how great a kitchen really is until I lived in the dorms.


Students today are more health conscious than in previous years and I think the school needs to adapt to that. Maybe then no one would have to worry about the dreaded freshman fifteen. When students come to college, many are on their own for the first time and in order to make healthy meal choices, the healthy choices have to be there. There really isn't one when the only food offered is fried products.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Neat post idea... I definitely think food services needs to do a whole lot more than just bring in decently-healthy food too, though. It amazes me how many universities offer kosher food, vegetarian food, certain type of diet food, etc - yet for some reason we don't? GSU needs to catch up with the changing times! I'm definitely glad things are looking up, though.