Tuesday, March 6, 2007

New and Improved

Has anyone else noticed that the Georgia Southern email has been crazy lately? Every time I try to check my email. it is soooo slow and then after you sit and wait a stupid error message pops up! But it looks like after spring break all our email troubles will be gone!

On March 14, GSU will be launching a new email server. The server from Mirapoint will be much better than the Squirrel Mail we are used to. Users will be able to create calendars with task reminders that can be made readily available to share with other users in the server. The new system will give us a total of 50 megabytes. This will be helpful for students who send and receive large emails. The new server will also allow users to organize and store information with address books and group contact lists.


I think the best part of the new server is that it will have faster response times and an online help function that will be improved compared to other email servers in the past. Another good thing is that all your current email items will be automatically converted to Mirapoint, so nothing will be lost in the transition.


Some students are skeptical and do not see the need for the change, but I think the change is well overdue. It seems like I have a problem with my email account almost everyday...that is when I can actually get into it, which I haven't been able to do today. So I am more than ready for the change. I also think that spring break is the perfect time to implement the new system because students will not be using their email over the break and we will not be complaining about the email not being available.


All in all, I think this is a great idea and it is just another step that GSU is taking in order to keep up with the times and provide the students and faculty with adeqate means of communicating. I am glad that GSU is making this and all the other changes. I hope there are more changes to come that will again improve our school.

1 comment:

Juliet said...

I can't wait for the new email system. The Georgia Southern email has been so slow over the last few weeks it was driving me crazy.