Thursday, March 8, 2007

Spring Break!

All students are happy that spring break is finally upon us. Whether you are getting out of town or just relaxing and not having to worry about going to class, spring break is sure to be a much needed break. I will be spending my break in Florida, and I am certain that the same goes for a lot of you. Unfortunately, I will not be able to spend Saint Patrick's day in Savannah, but I know a lot of students will attend the fun-filled night! I love St. Patty's in Savannah, but I just urge you to be careful along with having a great time.


Georgia Southern's Office of Health Education and Office of Public Safety is wrapping up the spring break awareness week. The week was full of events designed to make students mindful of the dangers that can come along with spring break fun. The safe driving information session and mocktails, which shows students that non-alcoholic drinks can be tasty as well, occurred earlier in the week. If you missed those events, you can still catch the highlight of the week which is tonight at 7 p.m. in Russell Union. This event will feature speakers Joyce and Eric Krug who will share their tragic story with students.


Eric Krugg made the decision to ride with a drunk driver and it changed his life forever. After the accident, he was left with the inability to walk and brain damage that no longer allows him long term memory or the ability to talk. His mother, Joyce, will tell his story.


I think this will be a very interesting and eye-opening event. If you can attend, I think it would be something to consider. I know we all hear drunk driving horror stories all the time, but I think this one might be a little different. The event is free and will definitely be worth your time.

I hope all of you have a wonderful and safe spring break. Have fun, but please be responsible and pay attention to what is going on around you.

No comments: